The NT Government is seeking to develop an international standard Water Theme Park at the Stokes Hill Wharf precinct.
The project aims to attract increased tourist visitation, extend the period of stay for tourists and enhance the liveability of Darwin.
The Darwin water theme park represents an important element in the NT Government’s vision to:
- grow and strengthen the Darwin CBD
- improve the liveability of Darwin by providing a large scale family attraction and event destination
- add to Darwin’s tourism strengths by providing another significant reason for tourists to visit Darwin and stay longer in the Northern Territory
- stimulate and unlock additional investment in the local economy
- create enduring direct and indirect employment opportunities.
The NT Government has announced its preferred site for the water theme park and opened an Expression of Interest process, seeking proponents to register their interest in building and operating a water theme park.
What we are doing
The Northern Territory Government’s vision is for a world class water-based attraction that capitalises on the opportunity to deliver a destination for tourists and Territorians. The Northern Territory Government has considered a business case for the Water Theme Park that includes:
- a footprint of about five hectares
- a mix of entertainment/rides to cater to a diverse audience and market
- unique theming and attractions to provide a key point of difference in the Australian and regional market
- the potential to attract around 300,000 visitors per annum.
As visitation and commercial appeal are improved through co-locating an attraction with complementary uses, the investment case for a water park is likely to be improved when incorporated in an integrated development.
The water park could include a range of uses to maximise the experience of visitors, which could include (but are not limited to):
- entertainment precincts
- public open space
- recreational activities
- accommodation options
- food and retail outlets
- other unique and distinctive offerings.
It is anticipated that a preferred proponent will be announced in early 2019 following a two-stage competitive Expressions of Interest process.